The state of Texas wants all driver’s to be able to pay for any accidents that they cause. That is why the state’s Financial Responsibility laws requires every driver whose license has been suspended or revoked, to file and maintain a Form SR22 (SR22 Insurance) with the state’s Department of Public Safety. The state of Texas wants those who are considered high risk drivers to have extra supervision.
SR22 insurance requirement causes
Drivers will be required to get SR22 insurance if they are in any of the following categories:
1. If they were uninsured and had an accident in the past and were unable to pay for damages.
2. If a driver was involved in a past accident in which they have an unsatisfied judgment against them.
3. If a driver has had their license suspended or revoked, for driving while intoxicated or other reasons.
4. If a driver has received mandatory insurance supervision
5. If a driver has received three or more convictions for driving without proper coverage.
If you are in any of the above situations, you will have to get SR22 insurance coverage before you can get your license reinstated. If you need SR22 coverage, you must first get in contact with an agent or company and purchase a policy. You must then pay a fee and have the provider forward proof of insurance to the Department of Public Safety (DPS).
If the Department of Public Safety accepts the SR22 application, you will receive an SR22 form from your insurance company, and a letter of acceptance from the DPS in about 30 days. You will have to maintain the SR22 coverage for two years from the date of your conviction. If you terminate your coverage or allow it to lapse, your license will be suspended.
There are three different types of SR22 insurance forms
1. The Operator’s Certificate covers the financial responsibility in case the motorist does not own a vehicle.
2. The Owner’s Certificate covers the financial responsibility for vehicles owned by the motorist.
3. The Operators-Owners Certificate covers financial responsibility for all the vehicles that are driven by the motorist.
SR22 Insurance – Things to Remember
The cost of the same coverage can vary from company to company, and you can pay more than double for the same coverage if you don’t do a little research.